I have been resisting the urge to make a new fabric box.  I signed up for a quilt block-of-the-month project and a sock “club”, and I didn’t want to create a whole bunch of unfinished things before things started arriving in the mail.  Also, I want to have the Clapotis done before I start knitting more socks.

But the post office is being painfully slow!  So I am going to make a new box.  Besides, I’m going to need a fresh box design for a Secret Sister exchange.  Yeah, that’s it.


The poppy fabric is a Hoffman print, from around 1999.  I’m going to use it for the outside covering.  The lining will be a coordinating fabric with a basketweave design.  The box will have a hinged lid, I think, and a crazy quilt design on top.  As you can see, I pulled out a few threads and beads for inspiration.

Normally, I use illustration board for the box structure.  It’s inexpensive and sturdy, but it also quickly disintegrates when wet.  I thought it would be fun to try a lightweight plastic for better water resistance, so I bought some small pieces of Sintra (an expanded PVC sheet).  It’s only 2mm thick, about the same as the illustration board.  It cuts pretty easily with my rotary cutter, and I can’t wait to lace some fabric over the pieces to see how that goes.